The History of Goosehill Hall
Goosehill Hall and The Coach House can be seen clearly in the background of a 1743 line drawing of Peak Cavern. Some say that parts of the Hall date back to the 14th century.
The Hall has been altered many times over the centuries. The biggest change was the addition of the tree-lined drive, so that visitors could arrive in style. Like many old properties, tales of ghosts abound. Neither the grey lady nor the phantom horse has been seen by the current owners.
The Renovation Project
In 2012 Goosehill Hall was bought by the current owners who have restored it to former glories. The first phase was the Hall itself, using craftsmen to restore each room sensitively to a proper historical context. The second phase was renovating the Coach House and the Gardener's Cottage. Phase three was the conversion of the barn and garages into two cottages, each with three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The Stables opened in summer 2017, the Barn at Christmas 2017.
A Sustainable Building
The Hall has been part of Castleton for centuries. Sustainability has been built into the renovation. In particular technology has been used to reduce the use of fossil fuels and its impact on the environment.
Heating and hot water comes from ground source heat pumps, drawing heat from the earth below the Hall
Solar PV cells provide electricity
A (most scenic) electric car charging point is available
Rainwater is collected to flush toilets and to water the garden.
(As featured in The Times - 28 August 2015)